For more than a decade, iLight has been manufacturing an LED Handrail Lighting System, as an OEM, for the largest manufacturer of architectural hardware, C.R. Laurence. iLight is pleased to now offer an upgraded handrail lighting system exclusively to the specification market through iLight’s architectural representatives.
When you specify the iLight Handrail Light System and compatible handrail hardware from C.R. Laurence (CRL), you get the best of all worlds: an LED light engine designed and manufactured by an expert in LED lighting, iLight; handrail hardware designed and built by CRL, the leader in architectural hardware; and a team, iLight and CRL, that has been working together more than 10 years to provide illuminated handrails that perform successfully in the field.
An additional benefit of the iLight/CRL illuminated handrail solution: you can readily assign responsibility for field measurements and hardware to the handrail installer and responsibility for the lighting to the electrician. See Specification, Bidding, Field Measurement and Installation below.
(NOTE: The information herein is for convenience only. Please see appropriate spec sheet or technical document to be ensure you have current and complete information.)
Features & Benefits:
- Proven high quality
- Field measurements are the responsibility of the handrail installer, not the electrician, if you follow the table below in the Specification, Bidding, Field Measurement and Installation section
- Respective components provided by experts in those domains: LED light engine by iLight and hardware by C.R. Laurence (when C.R. Laurence handrail specified)
- Easy to assemble and install
- Custom handrails shapes and colors available through C.R. Laurence
- More handrail diameter options/li>
- Energy efficient
- Long lifetime
- Stable and consistent color temperature
- Low voltage
- Cool to the touch
Color Temperatures & Light Output:
- 3500K (186 lumens / foot)
- 6500K (262 lumens / foot)
Light Engine Lengths Available:
- Standard lengths of 12”
- Can be field cut in 4” increments
- Run lengths of 10’ possible
- Straight lengths only
If you would like a curved light engine for a curved handrail, consider our Plexineon product family. Plexineon has been used numerous times for custom handrail projects.
- Class 2, 24 VDC
- Primary voltage: 120 or 120-277 depending on model
- Secondary voltage: 24VDC 4.1 A Max
- 20 feet per power supply (two 10’ runs)
- Dimmable using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).
- Suitable for Wet Locations
- Complies with UL 1598 and CSA C22.2 No. 250-00 Luminaries.
- MetLabs listed. MetLabs is a nationally recognized testing lab.
The iLight Handrail Lighting System is compatible with C.R. Laurence’s Cap Rail models:
- GR16 (diameter: 1.66”, 42.2mm diameter)
- GR20 (diameter: 2”, 50.8mm)
- GR25 (diameter: 2.5”, 63.5mm)
- GR30 (diameter: 3”, 76.2mm)
- GR35 (diameter: 3.5”, 88.9mm)
- GR40 (diameter: 4”, 101.6mm)
C.R. Laurence can work with clients to provide custom hardware solutions. If you would like us to put you in contact with a C.R. Laurence representative, call us 312-876-8630 or email email@example.com.
Please click the links below to go to a C.R. Laurence webpage for information on several of the compatible handrail hardware options that are frequently used:
Cap Rail GR 16 models have a 1.66” (42.2mm) diameter:
• C.R. Laurence GR16BS, Brushed Stainless, 120” (3.05m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR16BS14, Brushed Stainless, 168” (4.27m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR16PS, Polished Stainless, 120” (3.05m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR16PS14, Polished Stainless, 168” (4.27m) long
Cap Rail GR20 models have a 2” (50.8mm) diameter:
• C.R. Laurence GR20BS, Brushed Stainless, 120” (3.05m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR20BS14, Brushed Stainless, 168” (4.27m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR20PS, Polished Stainless, 120” (3.05m) long
• C.R. Laurence GR20PS14, Polished Stainless, 168” (4.27m) long
The iLight Handrail Light Engine System can be used in handrails by other companies, if the hardware channel for the lighting engine system is properly designed and manufactured to iLight’s specifications. Contact iLight for more information.
For a successful illuminated handrail project, you need
a) a high quality light source (iLight)
b) a high quality hardware system (C.R. Laurence)
c) an experienced licensed electrician, and
d) an experienced handrail installer (e.g. ornamental ironworker, metal shop, glazing company).
With these you get a smooth, predictable process and a high quality outcome. That’s why many general contractors demand that the handrail installer be responsible for the hardware and the electrician be responsible for the lighting:
|Stage||Hardware for Handrail||Light Source for Handrail|
|Specification||C.R. Laurence (“CRL”) handrail hardware model compatible with iLight Handrail Lighting System (see Handrail Hardware section above) or custom CRL hardware designed to meet the specifications of the iLight Handrail Lighting System.
Specification in the “Metals” division.
|iLight Handrail Lighting System
Specification in the lighting section of the “Electrical” division.
Please cross reference the handrail hardware specification.
|Field Measurements||Handrail Installer||Not required
Unlike the handrail hardware and many other handrail light sources, small variations from plan to actual would not significantly change costs for the iLight Handrail Lighting System, because of its modular nature and ability to field cut.